By William H. TeBrake
Starting as a chain of scattered rural riots in overdue 1323, peasant rebel escalated right into a full-scale uprising that ruled public affairs in Flanders for almost 5 years. Following their very own leaders, peasants defied the authority of the count number of Flanders by way of using his officers and their aristocratic allies from the nation-state. In a virus of insurrection, William H. TeBrake has written the 1st full-length account of the uprising.
Read Online or Download A Plague of Insurrection: Popular Politics and Peasant Revolt in Flanders, 1323-1328 (The Middle Ages Series) PDF
Similar europe books
The members to this quantity supply an available multidisciplinary exam of the expansion of nonstandard employment and the similarities and modifications of its influence on staff, companies, unions, and public coverage within the usa, Japan, and Europe. This ebook serves as a one-stop source for info at the transforming into contingent hard work forces in these countries.
Transition economies, similar to the international locations in Southeast Europe, face an expeditious institutional transition from a centrally deliberate to a industry financial system. The kingdom withdraws from its tracking functionality, which leads to institutional voids that have an effect on the economic climate regularly and small and medium sized businesses (SMEs) in particular.
- Commercial Networks and European Cities, 1400-1800
- From Oxenstierna to Charles XII: Four Studies
- Crusader Knight (Trade Editions)
- Practical Design Tools for Unprotected Steel Columns Submitted to ISO-Fire - Refao III
- The I.R.A. at War 1916-1923
- Framing Intersectionality (The Feminist Imagination-Europe and Beyond)
Additional resources for A Plague of Insurrection: Popular Politics and Peasant Revolt in Flanders, 1323-1328 (The Middle Ages Series)
100. 29. See, for example, Fourquin, The Anatomy of Popular Rebellion, pp. 76, 129, 134; as well as the comments of J. Baerten, "Les mouvements paysans au moyen âge: reflexions sur deux ouvrages récents," Le moyen âge 87 (1981), pp. 455-64; James C. Scott, "Resistance Without Protest and Without Organization: Peasant Opposition to the Islamic Zakat and the Christian Tithe," Comparative Studies in Society and History 29 (1987), pp. 417-18; and David W. Miller, "Collective Violence in the Countryside," Journal of Interdisciplinary History 15, 3 (1985), pp.
True, we still know only about scattered episodes of peasant militancy from the early and high Middle Ages, but that may well be a reflection of insufficient documentation. 32 Page 8 Though recent research has clearly demonstrated that there were many more late medieval episodes of peasant militancy than were known just a generation ago, making them seem far less unnatural or abnormal than before, there is another and in some respects more profound sense in which they continue to be exceptional.
Title : A Plague of Insurrection : Popular Politics and Peasant Revolt in Flanders, 1323-1328 Middle Ages Series author : TeBrake, William H. publisher : University of Pennsylvania Press isbn10 | asin : 0812215265 print isbn13 : 9780812215267 ebook isbn13 : 9780585127439 language : English subject Flanders--History, Social history--Medieval, 500-1500, Peasant uprisings--Flanders, Flanders--Politics and government, Flanders--Rural conditions, Peasantry--Flanders--History, Flanders--Social conditions.
A Plague of Insurrection: Popular Politics and Peasant Revolt in Flanders, 1323-1328 (The Middle Ages Series) by William H. TeBrake