By Sharon L. James, Visit Amazon's Sheila Dillon Page, search results, Learn about Author Central, Sheila Dillon,
Selected by means of selection as a 2012 remarkable educational Title
Awarded a 2012 PROSE Honorable point out as a unmarried quantity Reference/Humanities & Social Sciences
A significant other to ladies within the historical World offers an interdisciplinary, methodologically-based choice of newly-commissioned essays from favorite students at the research of girls within the historical world.
- The first interdisciplinary, methodologically-based number of readings to deal with the learn of girls within the historical world
- Explores a large diversity of themes in terms of girls in antiquity, together with: Mother-Goddess concept; ladies in Homer, Pre-Roman Italy, the close to East; girls and the relatives, the kingdom, and faith; costume and Adornment; woman Patronage; Hellenistic Queens; Imperial ladies; ladies in past due Antiquity; Early girls Saints; and lots of more
- Thematically prepared to stress the significance of old topics of continuity, improvement, and innovation
- Reconsiders a lot of the well known proof and preconceived notions when it comes to girls in antiquity
- Includes contributions from the various so much sought after students linked to the learn of ladies in antiquity
Read or Download A Companion to Women in the Ancient World PDF
Similar ancient & classical books
"[Kline] is unfalteringly transparent in explaining mathematical rules; he's discovered yet no longer pedantic; he has historic discernment, a sympathetic social outlook and a pleasant experience of enjoyable and irony. .. . the sweetness and fascination and infrequent excellence of arithmetic emerge from his tale. it's an exhilarating, provocative ebook.
Chosen by way of selection as a 2012 amazing educational identify offered a 2012 PROSE Honorable point out as a unmarried quantity Reference/Humanities & Social Sciences A significant other to girls within the historical international provides an interdisciplinary, methodologically-based choice of newly-commissioned essays from well-liked students at the examine of girls within the historical international.
Elegiac lyrics celebrating the affection of boys, which the translator phrases Puerilities, contain many of the 12th e-book of The Greek Anthology. That e-book, the so-called Musa Puerilis, is brilliantly translated during this, the 1st whole verse model in English. it's a pleasant eroticopia of brief poems by means of nice and lesser-known Greek poets, spanning thousands of years, from precedent days to the past due Christian period.
- Josephus: Jewish Antiquities
- Livy: History of Rome, Volume XI, Books 38-39 (Loeb Classical Library No. 313)
- Philosophie in Byzanz
- Appian: Roman History, Vol. IV, The Civil Wars, Books 3.27-5 (Loeb Classical Library No. 5)
- A Companion to Greek Architecture
Additional resources for A Companion to Women in the Ancient World
Witte. 4 Idealized portrait of Matidia. Luni marble. Rome, Palazzo dei Conservatori, Musei Capitolini. Photo: Vanni/Art Resource, NY. 1 Tombstone of Regina from South Shields (RIB 1065). Photo: courtesy CIAS, Newcastle University. 1). Photo: courtesy CIAS, Newcastle University. 3 Tombstone for Aurelia Aia, daughter of Titus and wife of Aurelius Marcus, a soldier in the century of Obsequens (RIB 1828). Photo: courtesy CIAS, Newcastle University. 1 Busts of Cassia Victoria and her husband, L. Laecanius Primitivus, on the tympanum of the sacellum of the Augustales at Misenum.
Similarly, Eumachia is discussed by Anne Bielman in “Female Patronage in the Greek Hellenistic and Roman Republican Periods” (Chapter 17); Eve D'Ambra in “Women on the Bay of Naples” (Chapter 29); and Elizabeth Bartman in “Early Imperial Female Portraiture” (Chapter 30). Such overlap is inevitable, and is in our view a strength because it exemplifies the diversity of approaches to the ancient materials on women. No single study, or collection of studies, can accomplish everything. We cannot cover each subject in each historical period, nor for every geographical region.
Marguerite Deslauriers is Associate Professor in the Department of Philosophy and Director of the Institute for Gender, Sexuality, and Feminist Studies at McGill University. She is the author of Aristotle on Definition (2007), in Brill's series Philosophia Antiqua. Sheila Dillon is Associate Professor in the Department of Art, Art History & Visual Studies at Duke University, with a secondary appointment in the Department of Classical Studies. Her most recent book is The Female Portrait Statue in the Greek World (2010).
A Companion to Women in the Ancient World by Sharon L. James, Visit Amazon's Sheila Dillon Page, search results, Learn about Author Central, Sheila Dillon,